The X-Road software is widely spread » in the world.
Despite that, we mostly cooperate with Finns in the X-Road field.
The prime ministers of Estonia and Finland made a memorandum in 2013 » (PDF), based on which, RIA has cooperated with the Population Register Centre of Finland (VRK ») to develop the X-Road technology together.
As a result of the cooperation
- we made the source code of X-Road » public, enabling a larger number of interested parties to use and develop X-Road;
- we created an X-Road community », which unites the owners, developers, and managers of information systems;
- Finland started ‘their own X-Road’ or Palveluväylä » (if you have any questions regarding the system, send them to email@example.com);
- we started a cross-usage service (the trust federation), which is implemented in all environments (ee-dev and fi-dev, ee-test and fi-test, EE and FI). The cross-usage is based on a trust federation agreement between RIA and VRK (283.65 KB, ZIP). Additional information about creating cross-border services is available in the X-Road Implementation Guide »
- the ministries of the two countries founded a development centre for X-Road (and in the future, for other interoperable solutions) or Nordic Institute of Interoperability Solutions » (NIIS), which will be the main developer and manager of the X-Road software. RIA is mostly focused on managing the Estonian X-Road ecosystem.