The X-Road software is widely spread » in the world.
X-Road is developed by the Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions ». The members of NIIS are Estonia, Finland and Iceland and the Faroe islands are its partner.
The prime ministers of Estonia and Finland made a memorandum in 2013 » (PDF), based on which, RIA has cooperated with the Population Register Centre of Finland (VRK ») to develop the X-Road technology together.
As a result of the cooperation
- the ministries of the two countries founded a development centre for X-Road (and in the future, for other interoperable solutions) or Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions » (NIIS). Starting from 2018, NIIS is the main developer and manager of the X-Road software. RIA is mostly focused on managing the Estonian X-tee ecosystem;
- we made the source code of X-Road » public, enabling a larger number of interested parties to use and develop X-Road;
- we created an X-Road community », which unites the owners, developers, and managers of information systems;
- Finland started ‘their own X-tee’ or Palveluväylä » (if you have any questions regarding the system, send them to palveluvayla [at] palveluvayla.fi);
- we started a cross-usage service (the trust federation), which is implemented in all environments (ee-dev and fi-dev, ee-test and fi-test, EE and FI). The cross-usage is based on a trust federation agreement between RIA and VRK (283.65 KB, ZIP). Additional information about creating cross-border services is available in the X-tee Implementation Guide ».