Raising Public Awareness about the Information Society
- EU structural funds support scheme “Raising Public Awareness about the Information Society”(2015–2023)
- Programme "Raising Public Awareness about the Information Society" (2007–2015)
EU structural funds support scheme “Raising Public Awareness about the Information Society” (2015–2023)
The objective of the support scheme is to raise awareness of the opportunities and dangers of the information society, as well as of developments of Estonia’s e-State, in order to improve the planning and development of the basic service infrastructure and promote its take-up. The support scheme aims to increase awareness of both the existing service infrastructure and future development needs so as to ensure the infrastructure’s sustainable development and cross-border operation.
The total volume of the support scheme is 5 million euros and it is funded from the EU structural funds (European Regional Development Fund, the extent of European funding amounting to 85% or 4.25 million euros). Activities will be carried out in 2015–2023 (eligibility period: from 6 June 2015 to 30 June 2023).
The first level intermediate body is the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications, and its implementer is the Information System Authority. The activities are carried out based on an action plan approved by the first level intermediate body.
The Information System Authority, in cooperation with the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications and other parties, shall carry out, organize and order the following activities with the help of the support scheme:
- Evaluations, concepts, studies and analyses concerning the information society;
- Standards, frameworks, methodical guidelines and training materials;
- Trainings, seminars, workshops, information days, conferences and courses;
- Communication and marketing campaigns, notification activities and presentations.
The support scheme activities are targeted at:
- Parties involved in the development of basic service infrastructure and of e-services (public sector, policy-makers, entrepreneurs);
- The current and future users of ICT solutions (individuals, entrepreneurs, officials);
- Opinion leaders and media representatives;
- Representatives of public and private sector of other countries and international media;
- Bodies responsible for information society related policy formulation.
The aim of the programme "Raising Public Awareness about the Information Society" funded by the Structural Funds of the European Union was to increase people’s awareness about the possibilities of the information society so as to contribute to the development of a society that would support people’s life and activities and increase the efficiency of policy formulation in the field of information society through high-quality information and data usage. The total volume of the programme was 4 808 350 euros and the programme was carried out in the years 2007–2015.
The activities of the programme were intended for:
- Current and future consumers of e-services (above all, Estonian citizens).
- Parties related to the development of e-services (public sector, policy-makers, entrepreneurs).
- Society’s opinion leaders and the representatives of the media.
- The public of foreign countries.
As a result of the activities, people became more aware of the fact that e-services make life easier and that they are safe to use.
The main attention was focused on the following topics:
- Introducing the state portal eesti.ee.
- Introducing the possibilities of the state information system.
- Increasing security awareness.
The target groups of the programme included consumers of both existing and future e-services as well as parties involved in the development of e-services, that is policy-makers, the public sector and entrepreneurs, whose increased awareness of the information society would increase general motivation for the take-up of ICT solutions. In addition, the programme focused on raising the awareness of opinion leaders and media representatives, increasing interest in and forming more positive attitudes towards new technologies.
piret dot aro at ria dot ee
phone +372 663 0298