State Portal eesti.ee
The portal is a gateway to public information and public services – it is easy, convenient, quick and secure.
The Estonian State Portal www.eesti.ee is a secure Internet environment through which Estonian residents can easily access the state’s e-services and information. It contains articles on how to resolve important or frequently occurring issues (such as applying for family benefits) and advice on what to do in certain situations (such as where to turn to if the neighbours are making a racket in the middle of the night).
The advantages the portal offers are:
- Hundreds of e-services under one ‘umbrella’.
- Detailed information about public services, contact points.
- A secure environment.
The e-services, articles and contact details in the portal are linked to make it easy for people to find information related to certain topics. Users log themselves in using their ID cards, which is the most secure form of identification.
A personal, user-based environment has been created in the portal as a part of a complete redesign. Here, you can create documents, sign them digitally and send them to others for signing, send e-mails, order public sector information services and review the services you have used most recently.
The services that the portal centralises draw their information from various databases. For example, if you are applying for exemption from land tax, you do not need to enter the data existing in different registers already. Your address is provided by the Population Register and the size and purpose of use of your land by the Land Register, while other details are added to your application automatically.
The portal is useful to:
Using the state portal is convenient and secure and saves time. EU citizens and foreigners alike can find information in the portal about their rights and obligations in communicating with the public authorities in Estonia. The thorough information the portal contains can be used to find answers to potentially problematic issues before they arise.
Queries sent via the portal are answered directly by user support or passed on to the relevant department – users do not need to do this themselves. All questions can be submitted in one place, with a guaranteed response.
The portal is a simple and secure way to obtain information about launching and running an enterprise and about communicating with public departments. If operating in a certain field is subject to specific requirements, the portal provides entrepreneurs with step-by-step instructions on what to do. For EU business operators, the portal represents a single online contact point.
public sector agencies offering services
The portal is a secure environment via which users are provided with convenient access to public sector information, services and contact details. The more comprehensive information the portal contains, the fewer enquiries public departments receive, since users get the answers they need straight from the portal or from user support.
People spend less time dealing with state bureaucracy. Less administrative burden is placed on public sector agencies.
In 2005, the presentation layer of the state information system consisted of three central components:
- eRiik (eGovernment, www.riik.ee), completed in 1998.
- Citizen’s Portal https://www.eesti.ee, completed in 2003 in the framework of the CIT project, available in Estonian.
- Information Portal https://www.eesti.ee, completed in 2003 in the framework of the Citizen’s IT environment (CIT) project, available in Estonian, English and Russian.
- The first interim milestone in the process was the financing application for the portal, which was given high scores by a committee evaluating national applications for financing from the EU structural funds. According to the project, the State Portal consolidated all the above-mentioned central portals and unified the access of target groups to information, services and eServices provided by the state.